Saturday, May 25, 2013

Baby Deer in the Garden

Newborn baby deer sleeping in my front border
     Yesterday there was a newborn baby deer sleeping in my front border.  I was concerned about it when I didn't see its mother for a few hours,  so I called the local wildlife center, and they said that the mothers often would leave their newborns in what they considered a safe place.  They might be gone for hours at a time, and they might leave it in that area for several days, returning to it off and on.  They said to leave it undisturbed.  So we posted a sign warning people to keep away and hopefully it will be alright.
     I know that many gardeners hate the deer, but since my front border is deer resistant, and since this baby is so cute, I don't mind.  I would rather see this creature than a rose bush any day!

3 comments:

  1. Oh so cute and sweet but very glad that it isn't in my garden, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I hope the little one is o.k. and that Mom returns soon! Because we live in an urban area, deer, although occasionally sighted, don't present much of a threat to my plants. How lucky you are to have such a wonderful visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how cute! Hope the mother and the fawn will be okay. :)

    ReplyDelete