Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Beetle on Cactus

This beetle was sitting on one of my cactus plants the other day
     I thought I would show you a picture of this cool beetle that was sitting on one of my cactus plants the other day.  After googling images of beetles found in the Pacific Northwest, I have tentatively concluded that this is a ten lined June beetle.  According to a Washington State website, this beetle is commonly found in sandy soils west of the Rockies. Adults feed on the leaves of broadleaf trees and some conifers.  The adult can be between 3/4 to 1 and 1/2 inches long.  This particular one was about an inch long.  For those who might want to know, this beetle did not do any damage to the cactus, and it moved on within the day.  This is a good picture to view large if you are not creeped out by insects.

2 comments:

  1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vy9mkmj8z69gy8/20140711_080530_Android.jpg
    taken in Ballard 7-12-14

    ReplyDelete